Life is full of pain that can be measured on a scale from 1-10. A Christian is measured by the way they live compared to Jesus. Join me in my battle of wits against Fibromyalgia and keeping the right heart to stay in the fight.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Giving Tree


One of my favorite books as a kid was The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. Many people have told me that that is a terrible book to read to children. As a teacher I don't recall reading it to kids but I think what was disturbing to most people was the idea of giving....and giving....and giving until there was nothing left.
I kind of thought that trait was natural in trees. Even the fruit it gives is not for itself but for others.
I always wondered why scriptures mentioned trees so much. It talks about good fruit and bad fruit. I always found them to be interesting pictures and parables.
If I am really striving to be a good Christian...reaching maturity, what kind of tree would I be?
Some trees are just nice to look at, some give lots of fruit and some trees just smell nice. There are others that look strong and others that look like they are weeping.
As for me, I would like to be a tree that gives sweet fruit. Sharing parts of Him with everyone. Love, Joy Peace, Long suffering...all the fruit of the spirit. It's no wonder He said,  "Taste and see, that the Lord is good."

No comments: