Life is full of pain that can be measured on a scale from 1-10. A Christian is measured by the way they live compared to Jesus. Join me in my battle of wits against Fibromyalgia and keeping the right heart to stay in the fight.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Provoking to Good Works

"Well I double-dog dare you!"

There are many ways to provoke someone. It always seems to be used in a negative way for some reason. I was having a teacher meeting and teachers complained to me that there was a particular child that went around 'provoking' others as well as them.
"Provoking in what way?" I asked.
One teacher rolled her eyes and explained, "You know, bugging kids when the read a book or tapping them all the time to get their attention. It makes everyone angry."
I thought of the scripture about provoking one another to good works. With the same attention and energy we give to provoking others negatively we can actually do it with love, understanding and compassion.
I suppose we can even use provoking as a form of teaching.
After some brainstorming the teachers came up with some great solutions to helping this child that clearly didn't know how to make friends. His actions were hurting his chances of making a friend, really.
"Looks like we will wind up provoking this child right back." I said.
The buzzing and chatter in the staff room went quiet.
"For the good." I explained.

Lord, help me to provoke others to good works. Help me to recognize what is in me that wouldn't want to bring out the best in others so that I may see myself each day. By your mercy and grace you can change my spirit to be one of a good servant. Being kindly affectionate one to another.

No comments: