Life is full of pain that can be measured on a scale from 1-10. A Christian is measured by the way they live compared to Jesus. Join me in my battle of wits against Fibromyalgia and keeping the right heart to stay in the fight.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Money and Values


"Your money, or your life." We know what to do when a burglar makes this demand of us, but not when God does."
~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966

I spent way too much money on medications at one point. I was on too many prescribed medications.
I was really freaking out about the symptoms I was having, and well meaning doctors were responding to my cries.
One doctor said to me, “You know, there is a difference between the brain and mind.”
Something in my soul wanted to retract from what he said….but I caught it before it was too late.
I went home and thought long and hard about it….and the next day someone else said it to me, this time it was a friend. She said it out of the blue.
I got it.
My brain is a gelatinous mass, it sends pain signals…pleasure; can get addicted to medications, it can even trick me.
But my mind…..well….seems to me that has something to do with my soul. What I value, where my heart truly resides, how I base my decisions….it has to do with me.
Where I was putting my money was showing me where my values were….and I knew I clearly hadn’t made up my mind about giving into these diseases…..or maybe I had.
I decided I was going to fight. I wasn’t taking this laying down anymore.
I E-mailed my doctor.
If I am going to be in pain, I am going to be in pain on my own terms!
Strange…isn’t it? What it is that provokes us to make stands in our life.
Successful thinking is all just a decision away.

No comments: